Abstract submission closed 15 July.
For submissions of late abstracts, contact email@example.com
The Australian Institute of Physics, in combination with the Australian Optical Society, the Australian Nanotechnology Network and the Australian National Fabrication Facility, invites you to submit an abstract for the 2018 AIP Congress.
This year the Congress is being held jointly with the 43rd Australian Conference on Optical Fibre Technology (ACOFT) and the 2018 Conference on Optoelectronic and Microelectronic Materials and Devices (COMMAD).
Abstracts are being accepted for all three conferences. The topics for each conference are:
Astronomy and Astrophysics
There are also five focus sessions that will bring together information from across the conferences:
50 years of Bicontinuous Cubic Phases
Nanophotonics with 2D Materials
Optical & Quantum Bio-sensing
Dark Matter Detection
Nanostructures & Metamaterials
Next-generation Astrophysics with new observatories (ASA-sponsored)
All abstracts are to be submitted on the same template, but please note the following:
- AIP and AOS abstracts are to be a maximum of one page and will not be published in a conference proceedings
- ACOFT abstracts should be 2-3 pages in length and will be published in a conference proceedings
- COMMAD abstracts should be 2-4 pages in length and the authors of selected papers of adequate quality will have the option to have their submission included in peer reviewed conference proceedings published on the IEEE Xplore platform
Word template is available here.
LaTeX template is available here.
You can submit abstracts for the following:
- 15 minute oral (concurrent) presentation
- Poster presentation
- Invited Speaker (by invitation only)
15 minute oral (concurrent) presentation
10 minute presentation with 5 minutes question time
Three poster sessions will be held, and will comprise a core part of the Congress program. Two of the poster sessions will be at lunch time and a light lunch provided.
Authors are allowed to submit more than one abstract, however only one can be presented as an oral by the technical program committee. Additional papers will be allocated to the poster sessions. Please indicate which abstract you would like considered for oral presentation.
ABSTRACT CHECK LIST
Do check that…
- title accurately reflects content
- aim is clear
- abstract allows delegates to assess the relevance of the work to their interests
- abstract adheres to guidelines for length
- background clearly states why this study was worth doing
- method is appropriate for the aims
- important findings are concisely summarised
- abstract is well written – clear, succinct, engaging, grammatically correct, spell-checked.
- ambiguous/vague titles
- titles that are too long and include unnecessary words
- mismatch between title and content
- abstracts that only fellow experts would understand
- excessive jargon/acronyms that are not defined
- excessive formality
- too much background, leaving very little room for key findings
- omission of important definitions/concepts/title
- useless statements such as ‘The findings will be discussed’.
Terms and Conditions
All presenters must register to attend the Congress and are responsible for their own travel, accommodation and registration expenses. All presenters need to register by Friday 12 October 2018 to ensure their presentation is included in the program. Please note that submitting an abstract does not imply registering for the AIP Congress 2018. To register, you must complete the online registration form.
The author/s reserve/s all propriety rights such as patent rights. The author/s retain the right to use all or part of this presentation in future works of their own, such as lectures, press releases, reviews or textbooks. The presenting author is responsible for obtaining evidence of copyright clearance/authority on any items subject to copyright, which are included in this presentation. The corresponding author acknowledges that all listed coauthors have been notified and agree with the submission. Prior to publication of the ACOFT or COMMAD proceedings, the corresponding authors will be contacted to submit the appropriate copyright forms.
Once you have submitted your abstract, you will receive an automated acknowledgement by email to the address provided for the submitting author. Should you not receive the acknowledgement your abstract is not registered on the system. Please contact Conference Logistics on firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, please contact Conference Logistics on +61 2 6281 6624 or email email@example.com.